Taking too long? Close loading screen.
Radius: Off
Radius:
km Set radius for geolocation
Search

History of Kavarna

History of Kavarna
City Information
Vestiges of the ancient times along the coast of Kavarna point to the dynamics of life in the 3rd century BC.
In the 5th century BC Greek colonials were attracted by the convenient bay, the abundant springs, the fertile land and strategic location of the hills. They founded the colony Byzone on the Chirakman plateau, but a disastrous earthquake in the 1st century BC destroyed the frontal part of the gore and a great part of the town sunk into the sea, but it revives in the 2nd – 3rd centuries again.

The town was a significant economic and cultural center in the Antiquity and the Middle Ages with rich and various cultural remains – stronghold walls, early-Christian basilica, mediaeval churches and public buildings. Interesting and splendorous works of art were found here – coins from different historical epochs, golden adornments, unique patterns of high art value, golden Thracian treasure of applications and etc.
During the 14th century Kavruna and Kaliakra were the main cities of the Kavruna principality.
During the 15th – 19th century the medieval town became popular under the name Kavarna as a Christian settlement and port for grain. From that time remained a Turkish bath, a medieval necropolis, a bridge, fountains, Christian churches and many writings.
In 1868 hieromonk Evstratiy of Rila founded the first Bulgarian school. In 1892 Saglasie Community Center was established. During the Russian-Turkish Liberation War (1877), the citizens of Kavarna rebelled against the hordes of Bashi-Bazuks and Circassians.
After the liberation, the town became part of the Principality of Bulgaria.
After the beginning of the 20th century Kavarna achived a rapid progress as an economic and cultural center of the region, interrupted in 1913, when the town came under the Romanian rule. The Bulgarian population opposed to the assimilatory policy of the Romanian authorities by means of active cultural and social activities of the church, community centers and libraries. In 1940 the town again became part of Bulgaria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

Scroll Up